Why Couples Gain Weight
Posted on 07 December 2015
We’ve all been victim to what most people know as “love weight”. It is the weight that couples gain after starting a relationship or even after marriage. From the butterflies in your stomach, to experiencing a completely new level of comfort with another human being, to learning how to share one space, being in a committed relationship can change any individual. Unfortunately, the most noticeable change is the relationship weight gain. Relationships are like every other important commitment that you make; they are a huge life change and like all changes there is good and bad. In this case, the “bad” for many of us, is the weight gain. Everyone knows at least one couple that has gained a visible amount of weight throughout their relationship. So why doesn’t anyone do anything about it? Well, the key part of “love weight’ is that its not driven by stress, anxiety, or depression like it usually is… instead it is brought on by happiness. Here are some reasons why relationships make couples gain weight:
- People tend to skip the gym so that they can spend time with their significant other. This is definitely one of the top reasons why couples gain weight. Unless both of you are driven fitness enthusiasts, it may be hard to motivate your partner or even yourself, to go and workout together/alone. If you work a 9-5 job and don’t live with your significant other, it may not be easy to spend time with him/her especially if going to the gym is on your to-do list after work. There is more pressure to spend time together when you mutually have free time and this tends to take over your personal time which usually falls on gym time.
- You don’t need to attract anyone new. Although this is a controversial topic amongst some couples, its easy to fall off of the “go all out when getting ready” bandwagon especially when both of you are completely head over heels in love with each other. When you are only being intimate with one person and are locked into a solid relationship then the pressure of looking your best has been relieved off of your shoulders. That being said you should definitely still try to look your best for your significant other. At least do the bare minimum of taking showers, brushing your hair and teeth :) With this pressure off of your shoulders, junk foods and comfort foods will definitely look more appealing. It may even encourage your sweet tooth.
- You don’t have to worry about looking perfect when naked. When you’ve entered a faithful relationship, your significant other is the only person who will see your naked body. The good news is that your partner already knows what is hiding under your clothes and, most likely, sees you regularly so he or she won’t notice or care if you gain a little weight.
- Your love as a couple will influence your eating habits. Eating out at restaurants becomes a popular and horrible habit that you will do together as a couple. Once you experience the ultimate comfort level of a relationship, it becomes so easy to eat everything and anything and veg out together while snuggling under a blanket. As a couple you will want to try new restaurants and bars and won’t have to worry about that extra slice of bread and butter that might add a couple pounds to your figure.
- Staying in instead of going out. When you are single, you tend to go out more with your friends to go dancing and clubbing. This definitely burns more calories than the alternative of staying at home with your significant other and eating greasy Chinese takeout in front of the TV. It’s incredibly convenient because its takes little to no effort and you don’t have to worry about makeup or getting dress… just crawl into some sweats and fall back into the couch. On top of that you’re most likely to kick back a couple drinks over the weekend, as if the calories from takeout food wasn’t enough. ;) This is completely justified when you are doing it with someone you love and who loves you back.
- Compliments make you feel good. When you are in a relationship, your significant other is most likely sending you compliments 24/7 from the moment you wake up to the second you fall asleep. At this point, it doesn’t matter how insecure you are about yourself, your confidence will feel a little boost as you receive more of these compliments. Unless you are in an unhealthy relationship, you will most likely receive compliments nonstop. After all, that’s a good thing when your significant other thinks you are perfect in every way. It will put you on cloud 9 and you will begin to buy into the loving compliments of your partner. This makes it easy to lose track of your personal appearance when you feel like you are on top of the world.
- You are so happy that you don’t care about anything. When you are happily in a relationship, you don’t really care about anything! When you are in love and happy, who cares about being in great shape or cutting out the carbs. The only opinion that matters is the one of your partner. So, why should you obsess about the way your body looks? You shouldn’t have to worry about it unless it affects your health. So, just take a deep breath and enjoy your free time as it is rare that we can feel entirely comfortable in our own skin.