3 Healthy Pumpkin Flavored Treats
Posted on 10 October 2015
Now that autumn is here, the pumpkin spice craze sets in! But can we blame anybody for it? No!! Pumpkin Spice is good with everything!! It’s so comforting and is associated with Thanksgiving season where families and friends come together. Most pumpkin flavored goodies out in the market are, however, filled with sugar and carbs you shouldn't be eating. But, that doesn’t mean you have to stay away from Pumpkin Spice treats altogether. Here are some healthy pumpkin flavored treat recipes.
Pumpkin Oatmeal: You’ll need
1 14oz can of pumpkin puree unseasoned
2 cups water
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 cups oatmeal (not the instant kind)
- In a large saucepan, combine the pumpkin puree, water, milk, and pumpkin pie spice and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add oatmeal. Turn the heat down and cook and stir for about 15 minutes or according to your oatmeal instructions.
- When the oatmeal is tender, the oatmeal is ready to be served.
You can add honey, agave syrup, or heavy cream if you’d like to add more flavor. If you'd like to add some nuts, then we recommend pecan, almonds, or walnuts.
Pumpkin Spice Smoothie
1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree
2 medium sized bananas
1 handful of spinach
1-3 dates (depends on how sweet you’d like it)
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
Cinnamon to taste
Nutmeg to taste
1-2 handfuls of ice
- Mix everything except for the ice in a blender on medium speed for 30-40 seconds.
- Add ice and blend until creamy consistency is achieved.
- Add more nutmeg and/or cinnamon if needed.
Vegan Pumpkin Custard
Two 14oz cans coconut milk
2.5 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp agar powder (to create gelatin consistency)
1/4 cup agave syrup
2 tbsp + 2 tsp brown sugar
2tsp pumpkin pie spice
1.5 cups pumpkin puree
salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let mixture simmer for about 15 minutes
- Divide finished mixture between 8 small sample sized bowls or ramekins.
- Cool in refrigerator for 2 hours until ready to be served.